Custom Search

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Book Idea

So I am thinking of taking a stab at writing a book. Many people who know me will probably be surprised to some sort. I do read A LOT, but I don’t think anybody would ever expect me to try to write a book. I have been thinking about it for a while. It would be nice to be able to make a living as a writer, being able to stay at home and write on your own schedule, or actually your publisher’s schedule. Be able to be at home with my kids (2 ½ and a 5 mth old), but who am I kidding. I never wrote anything more than a 15 pg paper for school, so that is just a pipe dream. But, it would be REAL nice.

Here is a little bit of my idea. It will be a story based in the islands, like Key West, St Martin, or the Virgin Islands. I have some ideas for the main character (down on his luck, went to islands get away from his life) and some other characters. I haven’t come up with the antagonist character yet (I think that is how you describe the character, the main “bad” character). I have some plot ideas and chapter ideas, such as the contrast between people who go to the islands for vacation (free for all, no inhibitions attitude) compared to the main character going there to get away, and his interactions with them and joining them in the anything goes attitude. But I do not yet have a true grasp of the overall theme/storyline of the book.

Some influences for this book are:

Kenny Chesney’s music (mainly Be as You Are)
The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson
Bars and Restaurants along Orient Beach in Saint Martin
The whole “Island Life” in general

No comments: